Can you answer the following questions?
If you are a private landlord try testing your knowledge:
- What does the law state regarding the collection and keeping of BOND money?
- Who is legally responsible for smoke alarms and when must they be serviced?
- If a tenant is late on rent – when can you serve a breach notice on them? And what process must you follow to evict them?
- What must you provide a tenant when they move in, or risk a fine?
- What keys and how many must be provided to tenants at the start of a tenancy?
- What is the minimum landlord’s insurance you are required to have?
- How long do you have as a landlord to provide the tenant with a copy of the entry inspection report?
- Can you charge the water bill to the tenant?
- You have a broken item in your house (e.g. aircon) so you decide to reduce the rent instead of fixing it. Is this allowed?
- Your tenant phones up and complains something is broken. What are their options if you don’t fix it?
- Is being in breach of any of the above a criminal offence?
- What government body enforces these rules and is most likely to issue a fine if they are breached?
How well did you do?
If you are managing your own property – make sure you know the law! What may seem like a saving can easily become very expensive (especially if things go wrong).
If you want to take the stress and hassle out of managing your property – Contact Us and we will do it all for you!